Saturday, April 7, 2012

Not Homeless Anymore... Almost!

Our home in Pittsburgh sold the first weekend that it was showed!

Before Doug got to St. George in February, we had decided that there were some specific things that we wanted in our last home. I was hoping for four bedrooms. Yes, it's only me and Doug. But, I love company! I also wanted my own space for a sewing/office area. So, bedroom four would be mine and bedrooms two and three would be for kids and company. Bedroom one was on Doug's wishlist. A master suite were we weren't cramped... had to have an awesome bathroom :o)! We have to have a three car garage because Doug needs his own space, too.  A workshop PLUS room for two cars. I can't imagine what it would really be like to park inside a garage! Also, it all had to be on one level. It is our last house and we didn't want to have to think about stairs in our older years. Finally, if it had a pool, it would be perfect!

So, on the hunt I went. One morning before I went to work, I stepped out of my mom-in-law's house and looked out at the red rocks in the twilight. I saw some streetlights burning in the valley below and took a drive. I wove in and out the the streets of the perfect neighborhood. Beautiful homes, tidy yards, lovely area. And there it was. The for sale by owner that we would dub the Lava Flow house, named after the major cross street nearby.

From the outside, I could tell that it had a three car garage and lot's of concrete... perfect for the anti-yard work Lefler's. Fully fenced. The landscaping was beautiful. When I called on it, I learned that it was a divorce situation. The price of the house was a little more than we expected to spend but the judge ordered the price. The ex-wife would not agree to a price and the agreement finally had to be court ordered. As soon as Doug arrived, I dragged him over to the Lava Flow house. The house had EVERYTHING on our list! But, because it was a little more expensive, and the inside needed some changes to meet our taste, we decided to really start looking.

We hooked up with a great realtor when Doug got here. I thought it was kind of funny when the realtor said that there are two kinds of home buyers. Those who look and look before they decide and those who find the perfect house and keep looking until they convince themselves that they found the perfect house. Who knew that we would be the latter? After looking in every corner of St. George, we decided that we would have to bump up a little in price to get everything we wanted in our last home. And if we were going to do that, we might as well go for the Lava Flow house!

We ended up using our realtor to help us even though it was a for sale by owner. We figured that the ex's had attorney's and we had better have someone representing us! It's hard to believe that we made an offer on the house on February 27th! It took until last Thursday when the judge ordered the ex-wife to accept the offer. So, the ball has begun to roll... slowly still. But worth the wait!
Lava Flow House Front View

Side View (Part of the garage is blocked by the current owner's trailer)

3 comments: